Human Physiology & Nutrition Internship Opportunities
HPNU Internship Opportunities
Human Physiology and Nutrition Internships
The Department of Human Physiology and Nutrition (HPNU) offers internship experiences as an upper division elective in both the undergraduate exercise science B.S., and the human physiology and nutrition B.S. majors. Areas offered to students include, but are not limited to:
- Exercise Physiology
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Collegiate strength and conditioning
- High School Strength and Conditioning
- Tactical Strength and Conditioning
- Sports Performance
- Applied Sports Science
- Physical Therapy
Specific locations currently affiliated with the UCCS HPNU Department:
- Hybl Sports Performance Center
- Centura Sports Medicine Clinic
- UCCS Athletics
- Colorado College Athletics
- United States Air Force Academy Athletics / Human Performance Laboratory
- United States Air Force Academy Strength and Conditioning
- United States Air Force Academy Nutrition
- Colorado Springs Fire Department
- UC Health Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Centura Health® Cardiac Rehab / Ornish ICR
- 10th SFG Fort Carson (Graduate students only)
- USA Cycling
- USA Volleyball
- Performance 365
- D1 Sports Performance
- Ground Up Sports
- FYX Sports
- Discovery Canyon High School (Strength and Conditioning)
- Redline Athletics
- Northern Arizona Strength and Conditioning
- Colorado School of Mines Strength and Conditioning (Golden, CO)
- CU-Boulder Strength and Conditioning (Boulder, CO)
- Back in Action Wellness
- Synapse Physical Therapy
- Rezac Physical Therapy
- Center of Orthopedic Excellence
- Results Fitness
- Restore Hyper Wellness
- Switchbacks Soccer Team Performance
Detailed descriptions of the internship process, application paperwork, and background check recommendations are specified in the HPNU Internship Informational Packet. All aspects of the packet require completion prior to beginning an internship experience.
The following checklist should be completed prior to enrollment in HPNU 4990:
- Notify and set up a meeting with the internship coordinator (IC) to discuss your interest in completing internship hours for academic credit at least 3 months prior to enrollment.
- Choose and evaluate the BEST internship experience/location that aligns with your interests based on your field of study.
- Immediately notify the IC of your chosen location to check for an updated affiliation agreement, to determine the application process for the site, and to gain approval from the HPNU Department Chair.
- Complete and submit the application to the site supervisor.
- Complete and submit paperwork to the IC.
- Complete background check through required UCCS website (TCLogiq).
- Enroll in HPNU 4990 (determine the appropriate section through IC) for the approved number of credits (1-6). Three (3) credit hours is the maximum per semester and per internship site.
- Complete required hours, course assignments, evaluation of site, and submit final report before the end of the semester.
- The internship experience may only be taken pass/fail.
HPNU Internship Contact
Dan Hutchison, MS, ATC, CSCS
Dan Hutchison, MS, ATC, CSCS
Internship Coordinator in Human Physiology and Nutrition (HPNU)